Thread: Weekly Writing Contest 85

Default Weekly Writing Contest 85

On Thursday a topic will be chosen and posted by the previous week's winner. Then everyone who wants to enter will post their piece in the thread before 12:00 PM (-8:00 GMT) Thursday. So that is Wednesday night/early Thursday morning. Then the previous winner will judge all the pieces and pick the new winner and post it in the entry thread sometime on Thursday (try and do it as early as you can). The week's winner will then pick the topic and make a new thread and it starts all over again. Remember, this is your chance to shine!!!

Rules:

1. All forms of writing are welcome, whether it be poetry, short stories, essays, fanfiction, or whatever.
    2. All entries must be under 500 words.
    3. All entries will be rated no higher than R; this will be at the mod's discretion. All entries rated over PG-13 must be under spoiler tags with a warning!
    4. The week's judge's decision is final and absolute. There no whining or complaining about another piece being better or the judge not being able to judge. On a flip note, let's try and keep it as fair and impartial as possible.
    5. Critique will be allowed in another thread, but must remain constructive. Just saying 'your piece sucks' is not allowed and will be dealt with accordingly. Everyone will be trying their best so lets not try to hurt feelings. On the flip side, learn to take criticism. It will help you become a better writer.
    6. Let's have fun with it. This will give you a chance to read other people's writing and let others read yours.
    7. A default judge will pick a new winner and topic if the week's judge goes MIA.
    8. If for some reason you can't fulfill your duties, please PM Sarah so that she will be able to take appropriate action so the contest doesn't suffer delays.
    9. Have fun!!!

This week's topic: blue

Incorporate any form of the definition (the color or the feeling or whatever) into your piece. If you are stuck, please refer to dictionary.com's definition for ideas.

blue definition | Dictionary.com

Having an intelligent conversation with a total moron

Default Re: Weekly Writing Contest 85

A thought =|

Blue

You’re like monsoon arriving a month too early, with the sky painted with a scarred brush laden with indigo glossy tint cracked down the middle. Brightly coloured periwinkle adorn the pathway when the downpour occurs, drenching all under it’s envelop with refreshingly cold, clear water, crushing the abundant bush with its voracity.

Everything you touch bleaches to matte sapphire, not that I mind. I’m sure Midas wouldn’t mind the spin on his gift, it matches your eyes, except they flash with fire, and devour everything within sight. Don’t stare so hard, you’ll kill them, not that it matters much they’re only periwinkle bush. I thought you might enjoy the monochromatic design of the pathway guiding you to me. If not, at least it reminded me of you, all burning ice. Follow their cries beloved and you’ll find me.

Leave the poor things now, and step inside the hut, stop the downpour you’re inside now. I’m not by the gluttonous fire burning clear, I couldn’t stand the sight of the loneliness of the flame; I’m in the bathtub amongst the soothing water. Don’t come close, you’ll freeze me, at least stop the swirling dark rain and let the ultramarine gems work their magic.

Take off your cloak…wait, what is that jarring note? It sounds….blood red? Where? Red? Your shirt…do not come closer, get rid of it. No not on my precious azure tiles, out…out…far away. Leave at once! I will not have you disrupting the carefully cultivated aura. Follow the indignation of the periwinkle out the door and down the path. Do not return until you’re clad in blue silk, like in my dreams, a perfect match for my erratic emotions; I can wait. Can’t you do so little a task for me beloved?

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    Oscar Wilde
    Lady Windermere's Fan

To make this more of a competition.

Out of blue?

What is this, unwanted bane,
    eternal shackles, a mortal remain,
    tying down, holding back like a chain.
    How it is, how it became?

Why no one can hear those screams,
    Did not find it too extreme
    when nightmares are called just dreams.
    How nothing is what it seems.

Where is this, can someone tell,
    east of Eden, west of Hell?

Blue Doors

A little know fact - blue doors are numerous in the world. I often wonder if anyone else notices the gateways - sporadically splotched in city streets, building, stores, houses - if you look for them, you'll see a blue azure door lurking somewhere out of the corner of your eye. I have seen too many to count - dark, metal-blue doors looking like a gateway to the stars, wooden and splintered teal doors in the back of worn down businesses. I once even saw a crystalline sky-colored door, thin as a strand of my hair...though it broke as soon as my figures caressed it.

I'm sure you don't believe me - about the sapphire doors that show up out of the blue whereever I am. I am quite aware this is a silly phenomenon, but if you think about it - it makes sense. Blue is in actually not a color but a state of mind, the lingering feeling of pain we all continually feel. We only associate the name blue with the soothing, oceanic color due to a continual, sadistic need to remind ourselves of pain we carry - the 'never to much' feeling of sinking to the bottom of the colorless sea.

Think about it - the sky is blue - to be exact: light-blue during daylight as we keep ourselves beaming even in the face of the dark blues that may be dripping of our life; dark-blue at night as we take off our shinning masks and blanket ourselves in the blue feeling that attaches to us throughout the living day. The ocean too is blue, many different shades of blue from the near clear blue that bathes on brown, sandy shores to the deep and dark blue that stretches miles below the ocean's salty breath. Of course, we need the oceans, seas - all bodies of water in order to continue onward in this maddening experience of limitation of the body mind and soul. Our spirits' lips crave the sweet liquid blue misery we all hid in our past...

I once was a dinner guest at some drab party down on the west side of my life. The gathering was a bore. The guest, all the same, were engaged in themselves, in others, in order to forget the pain that comes from breathing in the blue fragments of life. Eventually, I lost it. (Being around so many people that long usually has the effect on me of making me loose everything I am.) So. I stole to the host's basement where, lurking in a shadowy corner, was a steel blue door. Without thought I jerked it open - for once I opened one of those damn indigo doors. Inside, there was nothing but a blue sky and blue ocean - no green and brown to ground me, no red and yellow to rise me - just sweet blues in which I couldn't help but to let my everything drown...
    Last edited by 4thseal; 25-03-2009 at 01:15 AM.

My first entry in a long time. I really enjoyed this though and hope you do as well. I suggest you read it real slowly, it made it more entertaining for me that way. =)

Last edited by Sasuke's Legacy; 26-03-2009 at 03:44 AM.

"Brandy, you're a fine girl
    What a good wife you would be
    But my life, my lover, my lady
    Is the sea"

I'm Sorry...

Great entries! I love everyone's interpretation of the prompt. I won't lie - I'm a pretty simple person who got starry-eyed at the literary somersaults you all gave.

In the end, I picked Sasuke's Legacy for the musical piece that read like legato cantabile.

Congrats to everyone who entered!

Thanks for picking me batman!

Great entries, I thought all of the entries were really great. 4thseal, just the idea was real astonishing and it made me drift into a kind of emotional high I guess. Kind of inspired me to write my piece. Martzu, yours seemed to flow well at the end of each line. It just had fantastic closure. I liked sarah's piece the most to be honest, what a beautiful line of though.

Thanks again.

"Brandy, you're a fine girl
    What a good wife you would be
    But my life, my lover, my lady
    Is the sea"

I'm Sorry...