Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2

Default Guild Wars 2

Anyone playing this? Just got the game.

Default Re: Guild Wars 2

Yup. Ar˙kas on blackgate server.
    LightNights

I wish I could, game looks pretty damn awesome, but sadly, studies come before games these days.

^DD

DarkDays.5673 on Jade Quarry. I hope they get guesting up soon.
    (・∀・)ノ

Alex, ya should find some time bro.. missing out. Game is fantastic.
    LightNights

: DDD

Solaneae on Dragonbrand server. (Rynaga.1243 is my account)
    Last edited by Drak; 04-09-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Just wooped some Dragonbrand ass in WorldvWorld the other day.

I'll add ya there Miss Drak.
    LightNights

If anyone can bother to post a review that would be awesome! I remember the game being so amazing pre-expansion man it was competitive as fuck! Air elemental team, shit was cash

Guild Wars 2 is completely different from those who have played/remembered Guild wars 1.

Playstyle
    The playstyle is more skill based rather than focusing on grinding for over powered gears to make you OP. There is a dodge mechanic in the game where you can dodge enemy attacks if you time well enough. You can cast skills while you move, so none of the stand and cast while you get hit is seen (with the exceptions of some skills that force you to be locked). In this game, we have a limited number of skills available on your skill bar. (some professions will have access to more skills). Most of the skills don't have super long cast times, but you can still move while you are casting them. There is no global cooldown (fuck yeah i hate that). Each skill has its own cooldown time. Oh yeah, there is also -no- kill or lootstealing in this game. in addition, there are no "holy trinity" professions in this game. though, each profession can specialize their build if they wish to support or control more etc.

This game as a downed system in which you don't automatically die if you are killed by a mob. You have a downed skill bar which you can use to kill a foe and slowly replenish your hp. This is basically like a 2nd chance kind of thing, and you can sometimes "rally" and revive yourself to your normal state. Of course if you are defeated, then you cannot use those skills anymore, but a player can still ress you. Speaking of resurrection, any player/profession can ressurect you. This game also has an additional form of currency called "karma" which you can obtain the same way as the other experience acquired stuff. There are some npcs that sell things wanting karma only.

Leveling
    I read from level 30 onwards to the cap of 80, you get the same amount of required experience to level. Thus, you don't have to worry about higher levels being painstakingly long and forever to level compared to the lower levels. People say that it takes an average of 90 minutes (more or less) to reach the next level, of course it varies upon individual play. You can gain experience from a multitude of factors in the game, structured pvp? world vs world open pvp, crafting, gathering/foraging/mining, uncovering waypoints, vistas and points of interests, doing map completions, completing events, heart quests and story mode quests.

Crafting
    Crafting can be actually fun if you do it casually. It's fun in the sense that you can obtain a decent amount of experience from simply crafting. Each character can take on 2 disciplines to craft at a time. You can craft weapon/armor upgrades, bag slot and inventory upgrades, armor dyes, cooking food and potions buffs, as well as the typical jewelry, armor and weapons. Storage is pretty convenient in that you have a collection tab that is accessible between all your characters that can store each individual material that is needed for crafting. It is organized in sections. You can also automatically deposit all your crafting mats in your storage tab through your inventory.

Professions
    aka the "classes" of guild wars 2: there are 8 professions http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Profession. You can google the specific mechanics of each each one. There are no dual or advanced tier professions in this game. I will just indicate that whilst some professions may feel stronger, while others may seems weaker- take consideration how it varies upon how each person judges it and their preferred playstyle. I furthermore want to say that if the general population feels a certain profession is too op or too weak, the developers always constantly change builds in this game, so they will make tweaks as they see fit. One profession may have a flavor of the month build or be overpowered, while a couple of months later they may be weaker. Thus, I would say play what you actually like and feel comfortable with. All professions have their own buffs, heals, support, control, defensive and offensive skills.

Professions are further customized with traits http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trait. You can redistribute your trait points for a fee in game. You can customize things such as certain buffs or skills occurring at a percent of the time, or have passive benefits/buffs etc or increase the benefit on some weapons, character attribute stats etcetc. So far, I like it, it seems like it is very flexible, even though there are 5 trait lines, it doesn't feel too overwhelming.

PvP
    Meh, I haven't pvped much in this game yet. But there is structured pvp and world pvp. In structured pvp there are hot join battles where you can fight against another team. whoever has the most points in the match wins. hrm more info here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP

World vs World. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World your server will be against 2 other servers. it rotates the server matchmaking to see who you are up against then every x days(?). i played some of WvW in beta. It was pretty fun. Seige weapons are nice to have to get rid of huge amount of players. Range seems to be more rewarding to play rather than being on melee front lines. I like how WvW is a huge map and there are seige weapons to use. I sometimes see zerging or larger groups to have the upper hand rather than small squad raids. Maybe as people figure out how to play, small teams can make more of a difference.

Overall Impressions

Overall I am pleased with the game so far. Some people think that it is grindy by being repetitive with some of the layout of the heart quests or dynamic events, but I still see it better than killing one type of mob at the same spot for 5 hours straight. I like how if i do get tired of an area, there is always something else for me to do that will allow me to gain the same amount of experience or reward. An example would be if I am tired of doing events and quests like killing monsters, I can just pop up a running build and run around to new areas and unlock the points of interests and way points while I look at the scenery and gain exp. Vistas are jumping puzzles in this game. I sometimes get freaking frustrated with jumping puzzles... but yet at the same time it is interesting to do and the reward is also seeing a pan animation of the scenery around the area. I think it's cool how the vista allows me to notice the environment in a way I never really took the time to look at. It sorta makes you feel... "immersed" in the environment like that.

There are 5 races in the game, and it's interesting how they have their own personal story. With that said, creating a different character will be different each time, breaking the monotony of being in the same starter area and doing the same linear quests. Right now I have a sylvari main. I think sylvaris are so cool cause they glow at night and change colors >.<

I actually die a lot in this game being squishy as my caster class. It is also pretty easy to die from mobs that are like.. 2 levels above me. However, I haven't felt discouraged from continuing playing yet. i hear stories of how it can be more frustrating in the higher levels and explorable dungeons though....

I like how it is easy to dye armors cause once you unlock a dye color, that character can reuse that dye anytime using that eye dropper tool. Having "3 dye channels" also make character appearance colors more complex and personal.

I do like how the pve environmant is open and not instanced. People can play side by side with regular strangers to kill stuff. While there may not be much uh.. devised teamwork, it still is nice to have a helping hand around when you don't need to ask or beg for it. there will be a guest server feature that will allow friends from different servers to play with each other (only PvE area though).

whelp ,there are still a few bugs in the game that need to be fixed and tweaked, but for the most part they are working on things as best as they can.

as far as graphics and environment, it's very pretty.. my poor computer can't handle the higher graphics settings. some areas look awe inspiring and intuitive.
    Last edited by Drak; 05-09-2012 at 01:59 PM.

A few friends are playing this...dunno if I should start picking up mmos again.
    Confine yourself to observing and you always miss the point of your own life. The object can be stated this way:
    Live the best life you can. Life is a game whose rules you learn if you leap into it and play it to the hilt. Otherwise, you are caught off balance, continually surprised by the shifting play. Non-players often whine and complain that luck always passes them by. They refuse to see that they can create some of their own luck.

^You should.
    Thanks for the awesome review Drak, I've been on the fence about the game, but I think when I get paid next I will pick it up! I had another question about the crafting though, as I am a crafting fiend. Is it traditional in that you go search around for metals/plants etc to harvest? Or do you just get items from kills?
    Last edited by nidaba; 05-09-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Both. There are resource nodes you can harvest from (everyone gets their own so no need to fight for it), killing enemies gives you materials, and you can also salvage loot for mats.
    (・∀・)ノ

So apparently even if I decided to play this game I can't lol
    Confine yourself to observing and you always miss the point of your own life. The object can be stated this way:
    Live the best life you can. Life is a game whose rules you learn if you leap into it and play it to the hilt. Otherwise, you are caught off balance, continually surprised by the shifting play. Non-players often whine and complain that luck always passes them by. They refuse to see that they can create some of their own luck.

why cant you? :[

Digital copy is not available and I don't feel like buying a physical copy :<

I think they said the official site is temporary out but online retailers (amazon/impulse/getgames/greenmangaming) still have some keys.
    (・∀・)ノ

I do not like how the classes perform in dungeons.

That's because they scrapped the 'role' system. It takes a heavy amount of group coordination. I've cleared explorables for all of them except for Arah, and HoW with the same 5 man team. Just takes competent players. Though one of them for Citadal of Flame is just difficult as all hell. No way around it.
    LightNights

Well, there are just some weapons that are just no good in a dungeon. Trying to stay alive as a greatsword warrior is ridiculous. My character is far from optimized but the system feels sloppy compared to say Tera.

It's still a work in progress I dare say. It feels less fluent at first but gets better as you run them and learn the tactics for each pull. Our warrior mostly runs rifle from what I've seen.
    LightNights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast